When a book comes out you think about all things that happened while you were proposing it and then writing it. I thought I’d start sharing some of those, book by book.
1. RELENTLESS is actually the third book in a miniseries. Each book stands alone but there are characters in common from one book to the next.
2. The hero, Ben Tanner, was never supposed to exist. He appeared when I was writing the first book in this miniseries, FEARLESS. I knew who the bad guys were going to be and the general plot and then this NCIS agent stepped on the page. I actually wrote a scene with him in it then deleted it. I tried the scene again and damn if he didn’t walk in the door a second time. That time, he had his own point of view – in other words, he was one of the narrators in the book. I tried to wipe him out a second time and for whatever reason he refused to budge. Once I realized Ben was there to stay I had to decide if he was a good guy or a bad guy. I decided on good long before he stepped in front of the heroine, Laura Bart, in FEARLESS and protected her from getting killed.
3. Ben is not really in the second book in the miniseries, RUTHLESS, all that much. I had him stationed at a hospital, watching over an injured bad guy. That’s when the idea for his book was born. I decided he was working and eyeing up a sexy nurse while he planned to make his move. All of that became the backstory for how Ben and Jocelyn meet and where they are at the beginning of RELENTLESS – on their first date.
4. In my head The heroine, Jocelyn, looks like this (it’s Bryce Dallas Howard). It’s the photo I posted in my art forms for Harlequin to design the cover.
5. And actor Sam Worthington has always been the perfect model for Ben Tanner.
6. It is rare for me to change where I start a book once I write the first scene. RELENTLESS is one of the two times I’ve done it in 30+ books. The book originally started with a bank robbery where Ben and Jocelyn get trapped when the gunmen appear. That scene is now much later int he book.
7. In case you’re interested, go HERE to see the Pinterest page for the Corcoran Team books.
Some places where you can buy RELENTLESS:
Barnes and Noble